Deck Deck of Many Cards

Monday, March 12, 2007

DM Toolkit: Dungeon Magazine

Astute readers have probably gleaned that I admire the Shackled City and Age of Worms adventure paths, but it's more than that. I'm a huge fan of Dungeon Magazine in general, and eagerly await each issue. The last two years have seen a incredible upswing in content and layout, and I now regard it as one of my most important resources as a DM.

Adventures are the bulk of the magazine, of course. For the last two years the magazine has consistently presented three in each issue, one in each of three level ranges (1-5, 6-12, and 13-20). The stable of writers who regularly submit to Dungeon is top notch, and I learn a lot by reading the adventures, even those I doubt I'll ever have time to run. Paizo makes the adventure artwork from each issue available free online, which is another great resource.

Adventure paths and related Backdrop articles have doubled the value of the magazine from my perspective. They offer a compelling storyline that takes characters from 1st to 20th level over the course of twelve issues, with consistent artwork and recurring storylines. Other DMs provide plenty of commentary and suggestions about the adventure paths on Paizo's messageboards, so I'm never at a loss for NPC tactics or characterizations.

I also enjoy the editorials, letters, Campaign Workbook articles, and comics. The first thing I do when I get an issue in the mail is read Downer (the plot is complex, but the characters are intriguing and the illustrations are awesome). I even read the advertising, which is where I first heard about many of the things in my DM toolkit.

I highly recommend a subscription to Dungeon Magazine to all DMs out there. Whether you run prepackaged adventures or craft your own world, the material in Dungeon Magazine will lift your game to new heights.

Other DM Toolkit posts


Now playing: Robo Rally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home