Deck Deck of Many Cards

Friday, March 2, 2007

DM Toolkit: Area of Effect Templates

I'm not using my Steel Sqwire Flip-Mat, but I use their area of effect templates almost every week. The Spell Radius Package is getting the most use currently, as webs and fireballs are staples of the 5th-9th level game. The Straight and Diagonal Cone Packages have also been useful during the various dragon attacks of the Shackled City campaign.

I love the fact that the templates can be placed over miniatures without disturbing them. This is ideal for spells like web that stay in place. If I'm using my Dwarven Forge pieces they can just as easily rest on the walls of a room. I have other templates from the DDM Skirmish game and the Fiery Dragon Battlebox, but you have to hold them over the minis or move the minis aside and put them down for spells with a duration. In fact, I use the templates in DDM Skirmish games rather than the templates that come with DDM. So it's not surprising that Steel Sqwire is selling a Miniatures Skirmish Package.

All of my templates are the plain metal, as I bought them before the company made them available in the rubberized black, blue, or red. I don't think I'm likely to buy another set, as I haven't seen a need for more in the campaign. I did get a free 20 ' radius template (and a free Enlarge Person Stat Card) when I ordered them, otherwise I might feel that I was lacking something (for when a fireball goes off in a room that has already been webbed).

Other DM Toolkit posts


Now watching: Rome

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home